Jimmy Schementi - Software Engineer
Download as PDF
Jimmy Schementi - Software Engineer
I build things that don't yet exist.
SOLS - New York, NY
» Director of Engineering, 3D / Principal Software Engineer (2/2015 - 6/2016)
SOLS makes custom 3D printed insoles from answering just a few questions and
taking two photos of each foot with the SOLS Custom Fit iPhone app.
As Director of Engineering 3D, I led a team of 6 engineers, responsible for
building the systems which generate the "medical" physical product and tools
to manage the process (including: automated (and manual fallback) photo
measurement, 3D model design and generation, 3D print job management).
When SOLS focused fully towards the consumer space, we flattened the team
and I focused on a new iOS app, the first version of an online purchasing
experience, and adapting our existing physical product generation system
to support a very new design of SOLS.
- Built initial version of iPhone app and services, and the final photo
capture experience. (Swift, Node.js, and Postgres).
- Built initial online purchase experience.
- Built infrastructure automation (based on Jenkins, CloudFormation, and
- Introduced development process with code reviews, automated testing,
and local development environment which mimic production. Introduced
deployment process where any developer could deploy to production after
code review and test automation succeeded.
- Built 3D model generation system (Node.js, RabbitMQ, Python, Rhino3D,
Blender, Amazon S3).
- Built a product tour of what the physical product would look like for
each customer and how it was customized (Web, WebGL, Blender, Python).
Moven - New York, NY
» Head of Engineering / Lead Software Engineer (10/2012 - 9/2014)
Described by TechCrunch, Wired, and Forbes as a “bank of the future”, Moven is
a debit account and an app for iPhone and Android that helps you manage your
finances in real-time as you are spending money.
Key responsibilities and achievements:
- Hands on and overseeing all product design, development, and engineering.
- Lead product and engineering efforts from seed funding through successful
Series-A round, raising $8M in July 2014.
- Built Moven’s debit card backend, transaction analytics, and web app.
- Built Moven’s iPhone app
and Android app,
and managed all app store releases.
- Setup continuous integration/testing/deployment/release, realtime metric
monitoring, and ad-hoc data prototyping environment.
Technologies used: Jenkins, AWS, Riker,
StatsD, Graphite, IPython Notebook.
- Managed team with a lightweight engineering process: prioritized backlog,
constructive code reviews, and leading by example.
Lab49 - New York, NY
» Senior Software Engineer (8/2010 - 10/2012)
Lab49 is a global firm providing strategy, design and technology consulting;
building advanced and modern solutions for the world’s leading investment banks,
hedge funds and exchanges.
- Build modern front-ends in web and desktop technologies for various types of
- Built a web-based system for Quantitative Analysts to give the firm more
insight into financial instruments using quantitative methods.
(Python, IronPython, C#, .NET).
- HTML5 front-end for foreign exchange single-dealer platform
- Proposal and prototype new Financial Advisor system for a large consumer bank.
» Program Manager (7/2007 - 7/2010)
Project manager and software developer for open-source programming languages,
compilers, and developer tools, specifically IronRuby, IronPython, and the
Dynamic Language Runtime (DLR).
- IronRuby core-team member - contributed to libraries, compiler, and evangelism.
- Managed IronRuby project through 1.0 and 1.1 releases.
- Project that enables Silverlight and ASP.NET MVC applications to be built in
- Designed and built IronRuby and
- Collaborate closely with Silverlight product and release team.
- Collaborate closely with web evangelism team.
- Presented at RailsConf 2008,
- Advocate for Microsoft's involvement in open source.
- Organized the Lang.NET Symposium,
a 3-day conference for programming language and tools developers.
» Program Manager Intern (Summer 2006)
Worked on the IronPython team, specifically working on Windows Presentation
Foundation and ASP.NET integration.
» Lead Developer - Artifical Intelligence Lab (1-6/2007)
Lead WPI's Artifical Intelligence lab in a redesign/rebuild of
ASSISTments, an intelligent tutoring system. The system
was gradually rolled out to schools, and it is still in use today.
» Information Management Leadership Program Intern (Summer 2005)
Lead a user-acceptance testing effort between users and developers on
Additional professional experience available on LinkedIn
Significant Open Source Contributions
For a more complete list, see my GitHub profile
- Masters, Computer Science, Worcester Polytechnic Institute (2005 - 2007)
- Bachelors, Computer Science, Worcester Polytechnic Institute (2002 - 2006)